banner

banner

Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Debt & the Doormat by Laura Bernard




SYNOPSIS
Poppy and Jazz have been best friends from the first week of Uni.  Whenever these two get together trouble isn't far away and things haven't changed much.  When Jazz gets herself into financial trouble Poppy, being a good friend, offers to help.  She instead ends up being talked into swapping lives, with Jazz insisting it will be good and help her get over her broken heart.

Poppy is thrown into a new life, full of crazy housemates; there's fitness freak Izzy, horrendously beautiful bitch Grace and the slightly gorgeous, if not incredibly grumpy Ryan.  Quickly, with the help of Jazz, her life is thrown upside down.  Madness ensues and her need to please everyone gets her in more trouble than she could ever imagine.

Before she knows it she's got a fake boyfriend and is hiding so many secrets she's scared they'll spill out any minute.  With a bullying boss, a sex crazed colleague, a mental mother and three brothers each with their own dramas, life has gotten pretty difficult for Poppy.  And all of this would be much easier, if she could just stop falling over.

Will she get her life back to normal before her brother's upcoming wedding?  And will she want to?

As a new blogger, I was approached by the author to review her new release The Baby & the Bride which is a sequel to The Debt & the Doormat.  To learn the back story of her latest release, I immediately began reading her first story about Poppy Windsor and her agreement to help her best friend, Jazz Green, out of debt and help Jazz gain some life stability.

Little did she know how much this new arrangement of swapping lives would affect her instead.  An honest to goodness people pleaser, Poppy gets herself into numerous sticky situations because she's constantly trying to avoid hurting anyone's feelings causing some very funny outcomes. Ultimately, Poppy learns a lot about herself and becomes a stronger person for it.  

I can't tell you how many times I was asked what I was reading because I was laughing out loud during breaks at work, at the store or even at a concert while I waited for it the band to set up.  More recently, I was explaining the book to my sister on our road trip to the Austin Book Fest and even the couple scenes I explained to her had us both full on belly laughing in the car.

Laura Bernard did a wonderful job with this story.  Not only did I laugh at Poppy's predicaments but I felt like I could totally relate to what she was feeling and why she did the things she did. Ultimately, Poppy learns a lot about herself and becomes a stronger person for it.  

This is a great story for when you're getting over the ultimate book hangover and need some comedy relief. I five it 4 stars. Go ahead and one-one click. The book is currently a freebie and I don't how long that will last. It's definitely one for your kindle library. 


No comments:

Post a Comment